Press "Enter" to skip to content

More than 22,000 hospital workers and paramedics will walk off the job TODAY

Thousands of public hospital workers will strike across NSW as they fight for increased security in their workplaces.

More than 20,000 workers are expected to walk off the job on Thursday over workplace safety concerns after a vote by Health Services Union delegates in July.

The HSU says strikes will take place at a number of hospitals across the state – including the Royal Prince Alfred, Royal North Shore, Westmead Children’s, Wollongong, Tamworth, Wagga and Dubbo – with a rally to be held outside the NSW ministry of health offices in St Leonards at 8am.

Workers will take the opportunity to discuss ‘the failure of the NSW Department of Health’ in addressing their concerns over hospital safety and security while on strike, the union said in a statement.

The union insists the strikes are going ahead despite the Department of Health issuing a late-night statement on Wednesday claiming reports ‘suggesting some 22,000 workers will stop work … are not accurate’.

The department said an agreement had been reached with the HSU in the Industrial Relations Commission on Wednesday evening to avert the action and if the union complies, then a trial of new security measures will proceed at one Local Health district site.

HSU NSW secretary Gerard Hayes said patients would not be at risk during the strike action.

‘This is about protecting patients in a health setting, it’s not about putting patients in harm’s way, and so we will be making sure that any patient need is going to be addressed,’ he said.

Mr Hayes did admit there could be some delays for ‘routine matters’ and said while doctors and nurses won’t walk off the job they are in support of the action.

 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *