Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man knocked out by lout pushing pram during face mask row at London train station

A MAN was knocked unconscious during a furious face mask row at a London train station.

Police are continuing to investigate after the victim, who asked to be named William, was punched by a fellow commuter at Clapham Junction station.

The passenger later required hospital treatment for a severe laceration and stitches for a head wound following the brutal blow.

Along with a friend, William had been arguing with South Western Railway staff by the ticket barrier because one member was not wearing a mask.

Footage taken by the victim’s friend shows a man in a grey hoodie – who was also not wearing a mask – push a pram past the heated exchange.

William is then heard saying “you’re not wearing one either” – though this was not directed at the man.

In response, the man turns around and walks away from his pram screaming “don’t f****** start on me” before taking a swing at William and knocking him unconscious.

William is left bleeding on the ground as the man flees the scene with his pram and child.

A member of rail staff is then heard saying: “I told you both to go didn’t I?”

William said: “My friend asked one of the station staff a totally reasonable and polite question ‘are you exempt from wearing a mask.

“She’d snapped back saying: ‘none of your business’.

“Admittedly I lost my temper a bit.

“It escalated into a row with other station staff… then you can see the rest… thug leaves the scene, staff do nothing.

“No idea who he is, just some random person who was walking without a face covering assumed when I was talking to the guard just flew off straight away bang.”

In the footage, staff did not pursue the man but could be heard saying they have called emergency services.

South Western Railway said that the member of staff who was not wearing a mask had a medical exemption.

Face masks have been mandatory on public transport and inside transport hubs since June 15 in England – with passengers facing an on-the-spot fine of £100.

The rail franchise added that the assault was an altercation between members of the public – and staff said had assisted with first aid and alerted the police.

A spokesperson for South Western Railway, said: “Our staff reported this incident to the British Transport Police who are now investigating this.

“We will cooperate in this investigation fully, but as it is ongoing it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.”

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *