Look forward to seeing you again! Merkel has been embarrassed by a poll that shows the majority of Germans do not miss her as Chancellor.

0

Look forward to seeing you again! Merkel has been embarrassed by a poll that shows the majority of Germans do not miss her as Chancellor.

ANGELA MERKEL has suffered a final humiliation when a poll revealed that most Germans will not miss her when she retires from frontline politics after the country’s election.

The political veteran took office in November 2005 and has been a tremendously popular Chancellor for several years, with her approval rating among Germans often exceeding an astonishing 80%. During that period, she has presided over and guided Germany through some of the most trying times the country and the European Union have ever faced. Angela Merkel has faced a number of possible calamities, including the global financial crisis of 2007 and the accompanying Greek financial crisis, the migrant crisis during the last decade, the Covid epidemic, and was a key figure in the European Union’s Brexit negotiations with the United Kingdom.

In 2018, the EU icon announced that she will not seek re-election to a fifth term as Chancellor, and her longevity is noteworthy: she is only second to Helmut Kohl, who led Germany from 1982 to 1998, among democratic Germany’s post-World War II leaders.

Her 16-year rule will come to an end after the German election on Sunday, and despite her seeming popularity, most Germans have stated in a poll that they will not mess with the 67-year-old.

A stunning conclusion emerged from a representative survey of 5,007 people conducted by the opinion research organization Civey on behalf of the German regional newspaper Augsburger Allgemeine between September 22-24.

More over half of those polled (52 percent) said Mrs Merkel will be missed as the country’s Chancellor. More than two-thirds of respondents (38%) disagreed, with the remaining 10% undecided.

Despite her 16 years in office, Mrs Merkel continues to polarize opinion, according to the poll.

Nearly half of those polled (40%) said they will “absolutely not” miss her, while a quarter said they will “certainly” miss her.

Most of those who stated they will miss Mrs Merkel when she steps down as Chancellor come from her own political party’s followers, which is unsurprising.

Nearly two-thirds (63%) of respondents from the CDU/CSU camp said they will miss the Chancellor, but three out of ten (30%) disagreed.

On the other hand, followers of the rival AfD have a completely different perspective, with only 2% of those polled saying they will miss Mrs Merkel when she leaves and 96% saying they will not. “Brinkwire News Summary.”

Share.

Comments are closed.