LIVE: Calls for Boris to bring in the ARMY to deal with the supermarket situation
Last week, the NHS COVID-19 app advised a record number of individuals to self-isolate, raising fears of a “pingdemic” problem in UK stores.
Because multiple businesses have reported employee shortages, many of those “pinged” by the NHS app were critical workers who were leaving grocery shelves empty. According to the latest numbers, 618,903 notifications were sent to customers in England and Wales this month. The government is expected to release a list of essential businesses where workers who have been twice vaccinated would be exempt from self-isolation restrictions.
The number of people receiving COVID-19 contact alerts has increased by 15% over the previous week, when 520,194 notifications were sent out.
Since then, the number of cases has climbed by 40%, which should have resulted in a greater increase in alarms.
Many employees have chosen to delete the app or disable contact tracing in order to continue working.
“We’re looking at several industries, and we’ll be publicizing the areas that would be affected today,” Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng said.
When asked if the food business will be on the list, he said he couldn’t say.
According to Make UK data, more than one in every seven manufacturing companies has ceased operations because too many workers are forced to self-isolate.
When the government permits, employees who have been advised to self-isolate will be allowed to continue working and take daily tests instead.
‘I believe the issue is alarming, and it’s up and down the supply chain,’ Ian Wright told Sky News.
“It’s not constant across the country — there are certain regions where stores and factories are operating normally, while in other parts of the country, businesses are under enormous pressure to keep producing since up to 25% of their workforce is on strike.”
According to Test and Trace data, 259,265 persons tested positive for COVID-19 on July 14.
This is up 33% from the previous week and the largest number since January 20.
On Twitter, Ollie, @theburtscrum, posted this image of a bomb disposal robot in Fareham on the Left at 7.26 p.m.
The image on the right is from The Meon Valley Times, which was tweeted at 4.48 p.m.
“Town centre has been re-opened following a “bomb” alert,” they claimed. A cordon has been lifted in West Street, Fareham, and emergency personnel have left the scene.”
There is a meat business. “Brinkwire News in Condensed Form.”