TRIPOLI, May 20 (Xinhua) — Interior Ministry of the UN-backed government on Monday accused the east-based army of cutting water supply to western and central Libya.
The ministry said that gunmen affiliated to the army stormed a water supply location in al-Shwayrif town, some 400 km south of the capital Tripoli, and forced workers to shut down the supply to western and central Libya.
The ministry described cutting the water supply as “a complete war crime and an act against humanity”.
The army, led by Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign since early April to take over Tripoli from the UN-backed government.
The World Health Organization said that the fighting so far has killed 454 people, injured 2,154 others, and displaced nearly 60,000 civilians.
Libya has been suffering escalating violence and political instability ever since the fall of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.