* To be held on July 4.
* There are 14 candidates contesting the seat.
* Kristy McBain – Labor
* Fiona Kotvojs – Liberal
* Trevor Wicks – Nationals
* Cathy Griff – Greens
* Matthew Stadtmiller – Shooters, Fishers and Farmers
* Electorate covers 41,617 sq km in southeast NSW surrounding the ACT. Major centres are Queanbeyan, Merimbula, Narooma, Bermagui, Bega, Eden, Cooma, Yass, Batlow and Tumut.
* Labor MP Mike Kelly has retired from parliament for health reasons.
* NSW Liberal minister Andrew Constance and NSW Nationals leader and Deputy Premier John Barilaro initially jockeyed over potentially running for the seat. Both ended up withdrawing. Barilaro may contest the seat at the next federal poll.
* Electoral commission has made extra health arrangements to ensure the election does not spread COVID-19. This could delay a result in the count.
* Labor was hit by a scandal mid-election when the national executive was forced to intervene in Victoria over branch-stacking.
* Many voters are still living in tents or caravans following the devastating bushfires and will use the election to take aim at the government over the slow pace of the recovery.
* Betting agencies have Labor scraping over the line. No opposition party has lost a seat in a by-election to a governing party candidate in 100 years.