Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hundreds of protesters take to the streets in huge London march for Afrikan Emancipation Day

HUNDREDS of protesters took to the streets of London to march for Afrikan Emancipation Day.

Protesters waving flags and wearing uniforms held the rally to call for repatriations to African nations and descendants of slaves.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

It comes after campaigners from organisations including Extinction Rebellion, the Afrikan Emancipation Day Reparations March Committee and Rhodes Must Fall Oxford blocked the A23 Brixton Road.

But police imposed a curfew on the demonstrations to stop people halting traffic or joining raves in Brixton.

The event marked the passing 1833 Abolition of Slavery Act, which came into force on 1 August 1834.

Campaigners argue that the millions of pounds in compensation paid to former slaveholders as a result of the Act – without similar recompense for freed slaves – has increased racial injustice.

This afternoon, hundreds of people joined a demonstration in Brixton’s Windrush Square and Max Roach Park.

A short distance away, another group observed speeches before a three-minute silence was held to mark Afrikan Emancipation Day.

Organisers holding signs reading ‘mask up’ handed out face coverings and hand sanitiser to those attending.

A number of demonstrators temporarily blocked Brixton Road at the junction with Acre Lane, forcing cars and buses to stop and turn around.

But they moved shortly after police told them to get back onto the kerb.

Protesters soon began marching down Brixton Road towards Max Roach Park, blocking the road and stopping traffic.

Tonight, officers from the Met Police said three people were arrested during the protests but the rallies were “largely peaceful”.

An man was arrested for an alleged affray while another man was arrested in connection to an assault on an emergency service worker.

A woman was arrested for an alleged racially aggravated assault.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Taylor said: “The gatherings today have been largely peaceful and we thank our communities for working with us to ensure the voices of the community could be heard safely and done so responsibly to ensure the safety of all.”

The demonstration concluded, as requested, at 8pm, the officer said.

Police dealt with more than 500 illegal raves in July.

At the beginning of the month, the force shut down large areas of north-east London after a series of parties.

And a Sun Online investigation revealed Brits are using Bitcoin to buy tickets for huge raves.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *