Press "Enter" to skip to content

Heartbreak for northern NSW mum separated from newborn flown to Brisbane for lifesaving treatment

A heartbroken mother has broken down in tears at the possibility of being apart from her sick newborn son for up to two weeks due to coronavirus restrictions.

Chantelle and Glen Northfield from Casino in northern New South Wales welcomed the arrival of their second son Harvey at nearby Lismore Base Hospital last Friday.

Little Harvey had difficulty breathing and was airlifted to Royal Brisbane and Woman’s Hospital for lifesaving treatment as his condition rapidly deteriorated. 

But his mother has since revealed she can’t be at her newborn’s hospital bedside, despite getting a NSW Health exemption to cross the state border.

‘Due to the coronavirus pandemic and the closure of the Queensland border, Glen and I were refused entry to the hospital until after 14 days mandatory quarantine in a hotel,’ Ms Northfield wrote in a gur-wrenching Facebook post.

‘We would of been more than willing to do that if there was a guarantee that Harvey would be there for that long but no one is 100 per cent sure and the second he no longer needs such extensive treatment he will be flown back to Lismore.’

Ms Northfield was willing to take a coronavirus test but still wouldn’t be able to be with Harvey even if the result came back negative. 

‘We have tried our absolute hardest to get there, and the workers for the hospital tried as well, it was just one person from higher up that refused our entry. 

‘The best we get is FaceTime for now.’

Ms Northfield, who celebrated her birthday on Monday is distressed about being separated from her sick three-day-old son. 

‘FaceTime just isn’t the same, I can’t even lay a finger on him and just say that I love him,’ a distraught Ms Northfield told Seven News. 

‘He’s just hooked up to tubes, he’s sleeping, he doesn’t get to hear my heartbeat and feel the comfort of that.’  

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Royal Brisbane and Woman’s Hospital for further comment. 

Queensland deputy premier Steven Miles told Seven News he has asked the hospital to do whatever it can to make the situation less distressing.

Friends have set up a petition urging Queensland authorities to reverse their decision, which has already garnered more than 3,300 signatures.

As his parents continue negotiations, Harvey’s condition has since improved and could be reunited with his parents and big brother back in NSW as early as Wednesday.

‘All I want are both my boys with me,’ Ms Northfield said.

‘I just want him to know how much I love him.’

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *