GOOD Morning Britain has been hit by over 500 Ofcom complaints in the space of just one week following Piers Morgan’s regular on air rants.
Piers, 55, is often seen engaging in heated debates with the ITV show’s guests and the last seven days has been no different, but viewers clearly aren’t happy.
On Tuesday 12 May alone, the regulator received 174 complaints regarding the breakfast show – which is also hosted by Susanna Reid.
The following day, Good Morning Britain was complained about 98 times and the day after that, 76 times.
The number of phone calls to Ofcom dropped quite significantly on May 15 to just ten – but Piers doesn’t host the show on Fridays.
On Monday 18 May, the complaints shot up again to 51 after Piers slammed the government again amidst the global coronavirus pandemic.
The controversial host also tore into professional footballers for flouting government rules after a string of front page incidents – the latest of which has seen Chelsea ace Callum Hudson-Odoi arrested on suspicion of rape.
The latest Ofcom stats come after it emerged two petitions have been set up – one to get Piers sacked, and the other to keep him in the ITV role.
Both petitions have seen a bumper rise in signatures after Piers prompted 4,000 complaints over his “combative” coronavirus interviews with Minister for Care Helen Whately and Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
The 55-year-old came under fire after an explosive row with Ms Whately as she tried to defend why so few people in care homes had been tested amid reports thousands of patients have already died.
Some viewers said Piers was “bullying” her, while others insisted the presenter was doing his job and holding the minister to account.
Father-of-four Piers revealed he is aware of both campaigns and joked on Good Morning Britain when they were first revealed: “You can’t remove me, I’m currently identifying as a penguin so it would be animal cruelty.”
Piers continues to be an outspoken critic of the Government’s coronavirus approach, and he has accused cabinet ministers of refusing to be interviewed by him on GMB in recent days.
The journalist said the way the daytime show was being avoided by the Prime Minister and senior ministers was “disgraceful”.
He fumed: “I think it’s shameful. I think it’s completely wrong. The reason Matt Hancock [Health Secretary] isn’t doing our show is because the Government sent out a procession of extremely poor junior ministers who couldn’t answer basic questions about this and we got annoyed with them.”