Press "Enter" to skip to content

Family of two-year-old Australian boy Isaac Oehlers killed in Beirut Lebanon blast will fly home

The family of a two-year-old boy killed in the explosion that devastated the Lebanese capital of Beirut will fly home to Western Australia later this week.

Isaac Oehlers is so far the only known Australian victim of the explosion at Beirut’s port that killed at least 157 others and injured thousands more.

Premier Mark McGowan has confirmed the family will return to WA via Doha in coming days.

He says they might be allowed to quarantine at home given the boy’s mother has a health condition.

‘It may well be that,’ he told reporters on Monday.

‘We are being very careful about what measures we put in place for quarantine in the state. We’re not going to take any risks.

‘But it’s obviously a circumstance where her condition and what they have been through means that we need to tread very carefully.’

WA has some of the toughest border restrictions in the country following the global coronavirus pandemic declared earlier this year.

All returned overseas travellers are required to enter hotel quarantine unless they secure an exemption.

‘Plans are being put in place around the family to make sure that there’s appropriate quarantine safety measures and also take into account their very tragic circumstances,’ Mr McGowan said

‘That’s a process that’s ongoing.’

There are about 5000 Australians in Beirut and more than 230,000 Australians with Lebanese heritage.

Last week’s explosion was fuelled by 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been stored at Beirut’s port for six years.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday said it was a ‘horrific accident’ and could not rule out further Australian deaths from the disaster.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *