Egypt’s deadly attack on Copts draws local, regional condemnation

CAIRO, Nov. 2 (Xinhua) — The recent terrorist attack that killed at least seven copts near a monastery in Upper Egypt’s province of Minya on Friday has been met by local and regional condemnation.

Carried out by masked gunmen in two vehicles, the attack on a minibus on its way back from St. Samuel monastery in Minya left at least seven dead and a dozen wounded, according to official statements.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi mourned the victims of the attack and vowed to continue the country’s anti-terror war and bring the perpetrators to justice.

“I assert our determination to continue our efforts to combat dark terrorism and pursue the perpetrators,” the Egyptian president wrote on his official Facebook page, wishing a speedy recovery for the injured.

Sisi also made a phone call to Pope Tawadros II, head of Egypt’s Orthodox Church, offering him condolences over the victims of the monastery attack.

The Egyptian cabinet condemned the attack, saying in a statement on Friday that “it will only increase Egyptians’ determination to fight against terrorism and continue building their country.”

The deadly attack was also rejected by the Egyptian parliament, whose spokesman said in a statement that “terrorism in Egypt is breathing its last,” stressing that all Egyptians back President Sisi, the armed forces and the police in fighting all forms of terrorism.

Cairo-based Al-Azhar, the most prestigious Islamic learning institution in the Sunni Muslim world, expressed in a statement on Friday its strong condemnation of the anti-Coptic terroirist attack.

Al-Azhar described the perpetrators as “criminals deprived of the least meanings of humanity,” adding that they are “so far away from the religious teachings that urge for coexistence and peace and denounce violence, hatred and terrorism.”

Meanwhile, Arab League (AL) Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul-Gheit strongly condemned the Minya attack, expressing the Cairo-based pan-Arab body’s full support for Egypt’s measures to uproot terrorism.

“I am confident that such horrible crimes will not weaken the unity and solidarity of the Egyptian people,” AL spokesman Mahmoud Afifi quoted Aboul-Gheit as saying.

He stressed the necessity for renewing coordination between Egypt and fellow Arab states to fight collectively against terrorist groups and their activities.

The attack drew condemnation of several Arab leaders who expressed offered condolences and expressed solidarity with the Egyptian president and all the Egyptian people in general.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent a telegram to President Sisi, offering condolences over the “brutal terrorist attack” that targeted Egyptian Copts in Minya.

“We condemn in the strongest terms this criminal deed and share Your Excellency the pain of this calamity, stressing the solidarity of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with the Arab Republic of Egypt and its people,” King Salman said in the telegram, according to Saudi official news agency.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman sent a similar telegram to the Egyptian president.

Likewise, Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah expressed in a telegram to the Egyptian president his sincere condolences over the victims of the monastery attack and his country’s condemnation of the terror assault.

“Kuwait stands by Egypt in facing such a dangerous phenomenon and supports all the measures taken by Egypt to preserve its security and integrity,” the Kuwaiti emir said, according to Kuwait News Agency (KUNA).

Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry also slammed in a statement on Friday the deadly terror attack on Egypt’s monastery, stressing the country’s solidarity with Egypt’s anti-terror war.

The statement also urged for collective efforts to obliterate terrorism and uproot its sources of finance, said Bahrain News Agency (BNA).

In addition, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas offered on Friday his condolences to Sisi over the attack, highlighting the solidarity of the Palestinian people with Egypt in its battle against terrorism.

“We stress Palestine’s solidarity with Egypt in its fight against dark terrorism, which has neither religion nor manners,” Palestinian official news agency WAFA quoted Abbas as saying, referring to the attack as “a coward terroirist act.”

Similarly, Yemeni President Abd-Rabbo Mansour Hadi sent a telegram of condolences to his Egyptian counterpart, expressing full support for the security measures taken by Egypt to protect its security and stability, according to Yemeni official Saba news agency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *