Press "Enter" to skip to content

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Prince Charles welcomes back bed-and-breakfast guests to Dumfries House

Prince Charles has found a stylish way to comply with social-distancing rules — by bringing back butlers.

He is welcoming bed-and-breakfast guests to his Scottish stately home, Dumfries House, again, but with a significant change.

‘As part of a renewed offering that adheres to government guidelines, guests will be offered a full butler service that includes room service,’ says a spokesman for the property, which Charles saved for the nation in 2007.

The change will prevent guests mingling in the dining and lounge areas. No word on whether the butlers will squeeze toothpaste onto your toothbrush.

The estate had fallen into disrepair and was up for sale in 2007 when the heir to the throne got involved in a campaign to save it and open it up for the public to enjoy.

Three years ago, gardeners and craftsmen at the stately home completed work on a huge maze commissioned by the prince, who had enjoyed wandering around a similar one on the Sandringham Estate, Norfolk, as a child.

Speaking at the opening in 2016, Prince Charles said: ‘I’m afraid to say I’m rather indulging in my childhood fantasy of mazes. There’s nothing more enjoyable than getting lost in a maze.’

Planted with 1,600 yew tree hedges standing eight feet tall, the maze took 17 months to construct, involving 30 craftsmen.

The Prince of Wales, who is known as the Duke of Rothesay while in Scotland, last week visited the site of the fatal Aberdeenshire train crash. 

Three people died on Wednesday when the 6.38am Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street ScotRail service crashed near Stonehaven during heavy rain. 

Charles met emergency responders including Pc Liam Mercer and Pc Eilidh McCabe, who were the first officers on the scene, and commended them on their bravery.

He was taken to a socially distanced circle of workers including members of the police, fire service, Coastguard and Network Rail.

Many spoke of their experiences dealing with the incident and the sight of burning carriages. 

Charles, 71, and the Duchess of Cornwall, 73, are holidaying at the Balmoral Estate with the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *