Driver in fatal Vanuatu hit and run surrenders

There’s a call for the Vanuatu government to introduce tougher penalties after a six-year-old boy was killed in a hit and run last week.

The Daily Post reports the bus driver who allegedly caused the death of the boy in Port Vila’s Stade area on Friday surrendered to the police later that day.

Jenny Ligo of the group Women Against Crime and Corruption said the government urgently needs to act to assure the country that it is committed to promoting safety.

She also said a man from North Ambae was reported to have died at Vila Central Hospital of injuries he sustained during a land dispute in his village last April.

Jenny Ligo said more and more people are dying violent deaths without the deterrent of tough legal remedies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *