Dramatic video shows the moment a Kiwi passenger’s phone battery explodes on a Ryanair flight

Dramatic footage has emerged of the moment a New Zealander’s phone battery exploded on board a packed Ryanair flight.

The battery pack and portable charger burst into flames while the plane sat on the runway at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport about 5.30pm on Monday.

Panicked holidaymakers could be seen falling over each other as they rushed to escape from the holiday jet, which was preparing to take off for Ibiza.

A video of the fire was posted to social media by a passenger on board the flight, who wrote ‘looks like it harder to get to Ibiza then we thought’.

Instagram user Anthcarrio, who filmed the explosion, said he had never seen so many people scared for their lives after the charger ‘blew up’ in his row of seats.

‘Fire across the whole plane width of the plane – emergency exits are pretty fun when there’s not a real emergency,’ he wrote.

None of the passengers needed medical attention although some passengers are said to have suffered slight burns as they slid down the emergency chute.

Footage taken by onlookers and other passengers who had already left the aircraft showed the moments of tension sparked by the plane filling up with smoke.

Travellers were taken to the airport’s Terminal One while they waited to board another plane and their luggage transferred to the new flight.

Firefighters were not called upon to deal with the explosion. 

The device is thought to have been in a suitcase in the hold above the passenger’s seat. 

The owner is believed to be from New Zealand, but the passenger’s identity is yet to be confirmed.

A spokesman for Ryanair Spain said: ‘The passengers of a flight from Barcelona to Ibiza were evacuated in an emergency at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport because of a fire in a mobile phone that was being charged with an external battery.

‘All the passengers were evacuated from the aircraft in a safe way to the terminal and the cabin crew took charge of the device.

‘Ryanair is working to organise a replacement plane to re-accomodate the passengers as fast as possible.’

One relieved passenger said: ‘Luckily it didn’t happen when we were already on the runway.

‘We were just over 100 feet away from the docking bay when the device exploded and smoke began to come out.

‘Fortunately I was in the first row and I opened the emergency door before the pilot activated the chute.’

Another passenger named as Jordi Vilagut told a Catalan TV station the incident had caused the aircraft to fill with smoke and some flames.

He said the evacuation had been more like a ‘stampede’ because of the cabin crew rushing to get passengers off the plane as soon as possible.

 

loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *