Press "Enter" to skip to content

Couple found dead in Norfolk flat described as ‘full of gas’

A mother-of-two and her boyfriend are believed to have died in a suspected suicide pact after their bodies were discovered in a flat ‘filled with gas’.

Detectives and forensic officers were seen at the first floor flat in Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk, this morning following the discovery of the two bodies last night.

Floral tributes have also been left outside the first flat in Oxford Avenue.

Yesterday Norfolk Police launched an investigation and said they were treating the deaths as ‘unexplained’.

But today detectives have said they now believe that while they are still treating the deaths as unexplained, they believe there are no suspicious circumstances.

It comes as the female victim has today been named locally as mother-of-two Alex Mills, who was been described by friends as ‘bubbly and friendly’.

Miss Mills, 33, was said to have been in a relationship for several years with her boyfriend called Raj and the pair had talked about getting married. 

She had worked as a barmaid at the JD Wetherspoon pub The Troll Cart in Great Yarmouth, according to locals, and did not live with her two daughters, aged around 12 and nine, even though they were regular visitors to her home.

The male victim is said by police to be a man, also in his 30s, and both were known to each other, say officers. Formal identification of both bodies is still to take place.

Norfolk Police say they forced entry to the property around 7.30pm yesterday. 

It is believed that one of her relatives had raised the alarm after being unable to contact her and police officers broke in after they got no reply at the door. 

Meanwhile, nearby neighbours say they were ordered to leave their homes by firefighters as the flat was thought to be full of gas.

One neighbour said: ‘We were told we had to get out because of the gas. We still do not know what happened.’

The East of England Ambulance Service also sent its hazardous area response team to the scene.

White-suited police forensic officers were seen searching for evidence at the flat today and four fire crews arrived at the scene shortly before noon. 

Meanwhile a friend of Miss Mills, who asked not to be named, said: ‘I am shocked and really numb about what has happened. She was just a lovely person. 

‘A friend texted me to say what had happened. It is just awful

‘I remember her as a bubbly and lovely and friendly person. If I was having down patches, she would always cheer me up.

‘She was always supportive and would go with me for hospital appointments.’ 

Speaking about Miss Mill’s relationship, which she described as ‘volatile’, the friend said: ‘She met Raj on an internet dating site and they had been together on and off for four or five years.

‘They got together more seriously a couple of years ago, but he was very possessive and he stopped her speaking to me. He was very domineering.

‘He came from Buckinghamshire and would regularly come up here. They were supposed to be moving in together and he was talking about buying her flat. They were also going to get married.

‘She was happy, but she had her doubts about him. She came up to mine, saying she did not know what to do, and whether to get rid of him.

‘He promised her so many things, but I don’t think half of it would have happened anyway.

This morning, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service cordoned off the flat and three neighbouring homes with tape while they carried out checks to make sure the area was safe.

A police officer in a patrol car was stationed outside overnight and detectives along with forensic officers returned to the scene this morning.

A Norfolk Police spokesperson said today: ‘Police investigating the deaths of a man and woman in Gorleston can confirm the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

‘Emergency services were called to an address in Oxford Avenue shortly after 7.30pm on Tuesday after concerns were raised for the safety of a person inside the property. 

‘Officers forced entry to the property and the bodies of a man and woman were found inside.

‘The deaths continue to be treated as unexplained, however police do not believe there are any suspicious circumstances at this stage and will prepare a file for the coroner in due course.

‘Formal identification is yet to take place but both the man and woman are believed to be aged in their 30s and known to one another.’

Speaking about the incident, one local resident said: ‘There were some relatives who were apparently trying to get into the flat and they raised the alarm when they got no reply.

‘The police turned up first, and then there was ambulances and the fire brigade. Neighbours had to get out and were standing on the other side of the road.

‘The lady’s relatives were still there and were really upset. It was quite distressing.’

Other neighbours described two fire appliances and two ambulances along with several police cars at the scene.

Philippa Grimmer, 50, who lives opposite, said: ‘We saw them turn the gas off at in cupboard outside the flat.

‘I saw the guys in white forensic suits working in an upstairs room and taking pictures. My daughter was really frightened because she suffers from anxiety.’

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *