Press "Enter" to skip to content

Brit air hostess, 23, is freed after spending two months living off bread and water in Dubai jail over date’s cannabis

A BRITISH air hostess living off bread and water in a Dubai jail after being arrested on drugs charges has been freed.

Derrin Crawford, 23, was arrested when cops raided an apartment belonging to a man she said she only met for the first time that night and found two cannabis joints.

The Emirates flight attendant from Liverpool was thrown in Al Barsha jail and her family claim she was forced to sign a confession.

They were extremely concerned for her welfare while she was being held in the notorious prison.

But Liverpool MP Kim Johnson has confirmed Derrin has been released from prison after speaking to her family.

“Delighted to hear from the family that Derrin Crawford has been released from Dubai detention,” she tweeted.

“Thanks to all who supported Derrin. Looking forward to seeing her back in Liverpool.”

Her sister Danielle, 28, said how Derrin, who lost her mother aged 11, moved to Dubai in September 2018 after securing a dream job with Emirates.

Speaking before her sister’s release, Danielle said: “She is innocent, she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“The police have been trying to interrogate her, but she doesn’t even know this guy.

“When she was arrested the police took her phone, she managed to call me a few days later when she was being transferred to jail.

“At first I couldn’t understand what she was saying because she was just crying and crying. She didn’t eat or sleep for days.

“She doesn’t drink or smoke and has a good job with Emirates, so it is a shame she has got caught up in all this. She’s only 23 and is just so scared.”

Derrin’s family says she needs “urgent medical assistance” after developing septic tonsillitis.

The head of a charity ‘Detained in Dubai’ who supports Brits jailed in the UAE said they had been concerned about Derrin’s treatment.

Chief executive Radha Stirling said: “The police are not letting her communicate with anyone from the outside, they are not letting her make phone calls, she has been completely cut off in the police station.

“We’ve been trying to get lawyers to attend a person to represent her … we’re just looking to progress this as quickly as possible.

Derrin was arrested on June 21 alongside a man she had only met for the first time that night and managed to alert her family on June 25.

Her date is believed to be a marketing executive, from London, who she had met on a night out.

She was told she would be released if she passed a drug test but despite testing negative was still detained.

on on or EMAIL [email protected]


Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *