Boy, 5, playing with MATCHES sparks fire in a Woolworths destroying $3,000 in products

A young boy playing with matches in the barbecue aisle started a huge blaze inside a Woolworths store.

The fire, which started in aisle eight of the Narellan store, in Sydney’s south, destroyed almost $3,000 worth of items including napkins, plates and grill brushes.

Police said that the fire was contained but almost reached the store’s ceiling lights, according to The Daily Telegraph. 

The child, believed to be aged around five, was on his own in the aisle while his parents shopped. 

A Woolworths employee immediately grabbed a hose and stopped the fire from spreading.

Customers evacuated the store after the fire alarm was set off.

Camden Police and Fire and Rescue NSW were also at the scene.   

Camden Police Area Command crime manager Detective Inspector Jayne Doherty said that police have a 10-page list of stocks lost due to the fire.  

She also added that police are also looking at CCTV footage in order to identify the child and the parents.

‘We remind parents they are responsible for their children,’ She told The Daily Telegraph. 

‘The incident could have created a safety issue but lucky for the quick work of a Woolworths employee the fire hose was used and put out the fire resulting in the fire not being able to spread’. 

 

loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *