Biden accelerates vaccine exports to Asia months after VDL’s condemnation, putting the EU on notice.

0

Biden accelerates vaccine exports to Asia months after VDL’s condemnation, putting the EU on notice.

MONTHS after Ursula von der Leyen chastised Joe Biden for his lack of solidarity, the European Union is sliding behind the United States in vaccine provision to underdeveloped countries.

In May, the US President said that he would contribute 80 million vaccines to the globe, with 75 percent going to the global COVAX program and the remaining 25% going to “help cope with surges around the world” when they are most needed.

Most of the countries that have benefited from Mr Biden’s largesse so far have been in Southeast Asia, where the EU is lagging behind.

In May, Commission President Ursula von der Leyen chastised the United States and the United Kingdom for refusing to sell domestic Covid vaccination stocks around the world.

Ms von der Leyen took a swipe at the UK and the US over vaccine exports at the International WDR Europaforum on Thursday, ahead of a crucial health meeting of G20 leaders in Rome. She claimed the EU is “the only region in the world that has managed to provide for its own population while giving others their fair share.”

She gushed over the EU’s vaccine plan, saying, “At first, there was a lot of criticism of the EU.” But, in the end, what matters is that the European Union dependably supplies vaccination to its 450 million citizens on a daily basis. And we can say that we accomplished this as a group – as a community.

“Using that as a yardstick, we can say that our European immunization program has been a success. Let me give you a few recent statistics. Around 260 million vaccination shots will have been given in Europe by the end of this week.

“That is more than enough to vaccinate half of Europe’s adult population.”

“Things are going well,” she continued. By the end of July, the goal is for 70% of all adults in Europe to have received a vaccination. Let me put that amount in context: 70 percent by July is nearly the same target that the United States has set for itself.

“This demonstrates how quickly our immunization campaigns have converged. True, certain countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom, were first faster. But, since then, we’ve caught up.

“When making such comparisons, it’s always worth taking a step back and looking at the big picture. “Brinkwire Summary News” from other countries.

Share.

Leave A Reply