Archaeology makes a breakthrough with the discovery of a massive 2,000-year-old Roman Army cache.
In a huge historical discovery, archaeologists have uncovered a nearly 2,000-year-old Roman Army cache.
The relics were discovered on Menorca, an island that was previously part of the Roman Empire.
At the Son Catlar site, archaeologists discovered an antique storehouse containing a range of Roman weapons and surgical items.
They had been focusing their efforts on two fortified entrances to the Talayotic settlement that had been discovered in 2019.
The excavation was carried out by researchers from the universities of Munica, Alicante, Cadiz, and Granada, as well as the Ciutadella Museum.
The discoveries were regarded as “excellent” by Fernando Prados, an archaeologist from the University of Alicante.
While comparable finds have been made in the past, he noticed that they are unusually well preserved.
“It might be the protective magical quality assigned to it by the Romans in their protection against bad spirits when shutting the doors,” the researcher speculated.
The University of Alicante emphasized the importance of gates in Roman civilization in a statement.
“This form of blinded door was typical of Punic culture, and it was utilized as a defense strategy to protect itself from possible sieges,” they explained.
“The Romans regarded city gates as sacrosanct, and sealing one necessitated the performance of certain magical acts.
“A warehouse with a large number of typical objects carried by Roman soldiers was uncovered during the excavation of the gate and the adjacent street: weapons, knives, three arrowheads, spearheads, projectiles, surgical tools such as a bronze spatula-probe.” Menorca was conquered by the Carthaginian Empire in 252 BC.
The island fell into the hands of pirates when Carthage was conquered by Rome in the three Punic Wars, which took place between 264 and 146 BC.
Throughout the western Mediterranean, these robbers preyed on Roman shipping.
In response, the Romans, led by Quintus Caecilius Metellus, launched a full-scale invasion in 123BC.
Later, the Roman Empire totally incorporated the island.
The Vandals took it in 427, but the Eastern Roman, or Byzantine, Empire reclaimed it in 432.
In 1708, British forces captured the island, which remained in their hands until 1802 when it was voluntarily restored to Spain.
Separately, archaeologists in Italy have uncovered a rare boundary stone that was originally used to designate the ancient Rome’s limits.
It was built when Emperor Claudius redrew the city’s exterior layout in 49AD.
The slab, which is composed of limestone, is one of many. “Brinkwire News in Condensed Form.”