APPLE will reportedly bin three of its most popular iPhones following the release of a mysterious new mobile in October.
The iPhone XR, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max will be decommissioned, rumours suggest, to make way for the “iPhone 12”.
That means Apple will cease to build the handsets, which will disappear from the firm’s official store and other retailers as stocks dwindle.
Apple recently confirmed it was making a new iPhone, widely believed to be called the iPhone 12.
The California tech giant, which last week became the first $2trillion company, typically shelves older iPhones as newer models are released.
News of the latest handsets to get the chop comes from Twitter profile iAppleTimes, who regularly reveals Apple’s corporate secrets.
The leaker tweeted that last year’s iPhone 11 Pro and 2018’s iPhone XR models will be decommissioned after the iPhone 12 launch.
The iPhone 11, also released last year, will continue but with $150 (£114) slashed off its price tag, taking it to just $549 (£419), they said.
If true, we can safely assume that the 11 Pro’s bigger brother, the 11 Pro Max, will also be shown the door.
It would be a bold move from Apple: The XR is one of the firm’s top-selling mobiles, while the 11 Pro has been hailed as its best phone in years.
It’s not clear where the Twitter account got its information from, so take the claims with a pinch of salt for now.
We likely won’t know more until Apple holds its online-only launch event for the new iPhones in September.
Apple confirmed last month that its upcoming iPhone will hit shelves a few weeks later than planned.
The company typically releases new mobiles in September, but it’s thought this has been pushed back to October due to production issues caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
In a call with investors on July 30, Apple exec Luca Maestri admitted the firm would miss its usual September iPhone release date.
“Last year we started selling new iPhones in late September,” Maestri said, as reported by The Verge.
“This year we expect supply to be available a few weeks later.”
Maestri did not elaborate on what was responsible for the delay, though rumours as far back as February have suggested Apple was struggling to meet manufacturing targets due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Factory shutdowns in China, where most iPhone components are made, as well as the majority of staff working from home have reportedly strangled the firm’s supply lines and hampered its tight production schedule.
Apple is expected to release four versions of the new iPhone, including its first 5G mobile.
In other news, Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg saw his personal wealth soar to $100billion last week.
Microsoft could strike a $30billion deal to buy TikTok in a matter of days, insiders claim.
Billionaire Sir Richard Branson will rocket into space aboard a Virgin Galactic spaceship next year, the company has announced.
What do you make of Apple’s iPhone plans? Let us know in the comments!