Press "Enter" to skip to content

Anthony Seibold unleashes on Broncos co-owner and reveals ‘what a coward he is’

Anthony Seibold has fired an extraordinary parting shot at Brisbane Broncos’ co-owner Phil Murphy, labelling him a ‘disgrace’ and a ‘coward’.

The embattled NRL coach is set to confirm he will be leaving the Queensland NRL club on Wednesday – just two years into his five-year deal.

His departure comes after the six-time premiership-winning club recorded their worst-ever season in 2020, only managing one win from their last 13 games.

Mr Murphy said in an candid interview with 9News on Monday, Seibold is a ‘cancer’ on the club and needs to be removed.

But Seibold hit on Tuesday labelling the club’s largest private stakeholder’s comments ‘disgusting’ and a ‘disgrace’.

‘This is how much of a coward he is … I rang him and he didn’t take my call. Then I texted him and he didn’t reply,’ he told the News Corp.

‘Then I rang him back and he answered and then hung up on me. The players complained about him last year and we wouldn’t let him into the change rooms.’

The 45-year-old has been at the centre of vile, slanderous and false rumours in recent weeks.

Text messages and social media posts began circulating after the $800,000 per year coach opted to stay in NSW following his team’s loss to South Sydney on August 7.

It is not suggested that Murphy was in any way involved in sending the messages or making the posts. 

The move saw Seibold forced to undergo a 14-day quarantine period before returning to the team.

Seibold was attending to a personal ‘family matter’, the club said. 

The 2018 coach of the year at the Rabbitohs has now employed the services of a law firm to track down those responsible. 

Seibold is expected to walk away from the Broncos with a payout of well over $1million.

The two frontrunners to take over the role are current Queensland origin coach Kevin Walters and former premiership-winning North Queensland Cowboys coach Paul Green.

But after a years from hell for the Broncos, whoever takes the reins in 2021 is going to be under immense pressure.

Seibold’s chargers have failed to perform in the coronavirus-interrupted season and the star-studded team are currently sitting second-last on the ladder after a 28-24 loss to the St George Dragons on Friday.

A litany of other off-field dramas and player dissent have also plagued the Red Hill Club.

Earlier this month, Brisbane legend Allan Langer and two other fellow support staff were fined $5000 after breaching COVID-19 protocols by attending a function.

Second-row enforcer Tevita Pangai Jr also landed in hot water after attending a barber shop owned by an outlaw motorcycle club.

He was fined $30,000 dollars and placed on indefinite suspension. 

Meanwhile, ten other players were hit with a collective $140,000 in penalties after attending a pub.

Under the code’s strict coronavirus protocols, players are only permitted to attend a restaurant or cafe – not pubs or nightclubs.

The seven full-time players were hit with steep fines included Jake Turpin, Kotoni Staggs, David Fifita, Cory Paix, Keenan Palasia, Sean O’Sullivan and Corey Oates.

Three development players – Ethan Bullemor, Josh James and Tyson Gamble- had a portion of their penalties suspended. 

To make matters worse, the clubs’ highly touted future star David Fifita signed with rival team the Gold Coast Titans mid-season after publicly backflipping on contract negotiations with Brisbane.

Star centre Kotoni Staggs was at the centre of a sex tape scandal after a teenage woman allegedly leaked the video in an act of ‘revenge porn’. 

The Brisbane Broncos who are just two points off the bottom of the table will take on reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters on Friday.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *