After sliding down the football stadium bannister, a 24-year-old man died in front of his frightened fiancée.


After sliding down the football stadium bannister, a 24-year-old man died in front of his frightened fiancée.

An inquest heard that a young man died in front of his shocked fiancée after falling down a stairway bannister at Derby County’s football stadium.

On November 30, 2019, Jack Watson, 24, tragically fell two storeys after a company Christmas party at Pride Park Stadium. At around midnight, Jack, from Chester Green, and his fiancée Alexa Heacock were leaving the venue’s Igor’s Lounge when Jack attempted to slide down a spiral staircase’s bannister and lost his balance.

Emergency crews arrived on scene but were unable to save the design engineer, who was pronounced dead on the spot.

During a hearing at Derby Coroner’s Court on Wednesday, Jack’s family paid tribute to his life.

“I would like to say he wasn’t only our son – he was a real friend,” Jill Watson, his mother, said.

He was kind-hearted, thoughtful, and full of merriment, and he enjoyed a good chuckle.

“He was quite clever, and he put in a lot of effort toward his degree.

“He had just been in Derby for six months. He was content and excited for whatever life had in store for him.”

Jack’s distraught mother also testified at the hearing that he and Ms Heacock had been dating since they were 16 years old.

Ms Heacock testified at the hearing that the pair had intended to go out into Derby with friends after the Christmas party, and that they were leaving when the awful occurrence occurred.

When the party ended at midnight, Ms Heacock said Jack, who worked as a design engineer for Expleo Limited, was “between merry and drunk.”

“He decided it would be fun to slide down the bannister,” she explained.

“To get to the bottom of the first landing, he went to slide down the bannister on his buttocks.

“However, he tipped backwards and tumbled down the entire spiral staircase.”

Before paramedics came, a nurse who was attending the work party hurried to provide first aid.

Jack was pronounced dead at the site after medical staff were unable to revive him.

A post-mortem revealed that Jack died as a result of a head injury caused in the fall, with the pathologist claiming that he would have been knocked out “nearly quickly.”

Mrs Tanyka Rawden, Assistant Coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, was told there was no CCTV footage of the incident because it had not yet been recorded. “Brinkwire News in Condensed Form.”


Comments are closed.