The landlord is prohibited from renting out a filthy, rat-infested ‘house of horrors.’
A LANDLORD has been barred from renting out his property after it became a house of horrors infested with rats and mold.
This week, his tenants – a couple and their nine children – had to be evicted from the house and placed in emergency housing by the council.
The five-bedroom house in Elswick, Newcastle, was left in a “shocking” state by the property owner.
The house had defective double glazing, missing balusters on the staircase that could cause trips and falls, leaking pipework, holes in the ceiling, damp, mold, insecure front and back doors, no hot water supply in the kitchen, and no smoke detector in the ground floor hallway, according to Newcastle City Council, which is controlled by Labour.
Investigators also discovered rats had gnawed their way through electrical cabling, rendering the electricity supply unsafe and causing the heating system to fail, leaving the family without heat or hot water.
After the landlord failed to respond to their requests to address the “serious disrepair and infestation,” the tenants were left with no choice but to turn to the council, according to Chronicle Live.
The council served the landlord with a prohibition order under the Housing Act 2004 after he failed to comply with the council’s requests for repairs.
Before the council will consider lifting the order and allowing the property to be rented out again, it must be refurbished to the council’s standards.
“This is a shocking example of a landlord failing to fulfil his legal obligations,” said Coun Linda Hobson, Cabinet Member for Housing and Regulation.
My heart breaks for the family who had to live in such deplorable circumstances.
“Thankfully, they are now in clean, warm, and safe housing – not much to ask for in the twenty-first century.” However, some landlords appear to be failing in their duty of care to provide anything resembling decent living conditions.
“In Newcastle, we’re working hard to improve standards in the private rented sector, which is becoming a larger and more important part of the housing market.
“We worked with landlords to introduce a property licensing scheme, and the vast majority of them are good, but incidents like this highlight the importance of such schemes.”
“Landlords who fail to provide basic living conditions should be aware.”
“News from the Brinkwire.”