A 10-year-old boy from Brazil has died after being buried alive amid sand dunes.
A TEN-YEAR-OLD CHILD was buried alive amid sand dunes, prompting authorities to issue a grim warning.
Arthur Correa Nunes, a 10-year-old boy from Laguna, Brazil, crawled into the sand near Praia da Galheta Beach. After getting swallowed by the sand, the boy was fished out by a bystander.
After Arthur was swallowed by the dunes, friends and passers-by attempted to resuscitate him.
For more than an hour, emergency personnel battled to resuscitate the 10-year-old.
According to local sources, Arthur died on the spot in Laguna.
According to reports, the boy was given a wake before being cremated.
Aziz Tebechrani Neto, a professor of soil mechanics at the University of the Extreme South of Santa Catarina, advised parents about the hazards of sand dunes after the boy’s untimely death.
“From the time there is destabilisation, such as a hole, in the dunes, they tend to re-shape themselves, and this often happens via collapse,” he stated, according to Brazilian news outlet Ndmais.
According to Prof. Neto, what happened in the dune was similar to a landslide, but because of the absence of cohesion between the grains of sand, the risk of disaster is much higher in dunes.
The professor also cautioned that dunes are unpredictable and dangerous, as a strong wind can bring them crashing down.
It comes after two horseback riders were taken to the hospital after falling off their horses in the Merthyr Mawr sand dunes near Bridgend, Wales.
Around 4 p.m. on Wednesday, August 25, the Welsh Ambulance Service was dispatched to the scene to assess the casualties.
The two riders were found “deep in the dunes near the mouth of the River Ogmore” after being thrown from their horses while out riding.
Around 4.40 p.m., the Coastguard was called in to aid with the recovery, and personnel from Porthcawl and Llantwit Major Coastguards, as well as a coastguard helicopter from Caernarfon, were dispatched.
After beachgoers began digging large holes in the sand, Exmouth firefighters and coast guards issued a safety warning in June.
“Digging holes might be a classic beach sport for small children, but some of the holes we’ve seen are so deep they’re certainly not excavated by kids,” an Exmouth Fire Station representative said.
“These holes pose a significant risk to both those who dig them and those who are unfortunate enough to fall into one by accident.
“Unfortunately,” says the Brinkwire Summary News.