Amid fears of new covid pressure, New Zealand is tightening borders again

0

Travellers in the U.K. The U.S. must now screen negative prior to departure and take another test as an extra “precautionary measure” upon arrival.
Coronavirus – Recent updates
See all of our coverage of coronaviruses

In the midst of increasing concerns of a new strain of coronavirus that is pushing up the number of infections overseas, New Zealand has further tightened border controls. In the two weeks before Christmas, six cases of the new virus variant – five among U.K. entrants and one from South Africa – were reported in controlled isolation facilities. The current requirement to take a test is an added obstacle to flight cancellations and the long wait for a free place in quarantine, and the U.S. that want to come home. Over Christmas and New Year, 5,800 places in the 32 operated isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facilities across New Zealand were filled because Kiwis wanted to return so quickly.

Although locations are accessible at the last minute, a verified flight booking must be synchronized with the arrival date at MIQ, although Stuff says the government will relax this somewhat due to the ongoing disruption. Ardern unveils New Zealand Covid vaccine deals as the economy recoversRead moreWiles had previously cautioned the government before departure against needing a negative test result, claiming it would not actually help protect New Zealand and may be an unnecessary entry barrier, as Covid 19 tests in the U.S. and U.K. They are challenging and sometimes costly to obtain. In addition to the issue of who can afford the test,” Wiles said last week on Radio New Zealand’s Morning Report program, “?? There is no assurance that you will not be positive on the way to the airport or on the plane if you are checked and you are negative. Since August, the opposition National Party has been pressing for the move, with Speaker Chris Bishop telling Morning Report that the next step will be to make a negative result a prerequisite for all arrivals, not just those from the U.S. and Britain.

The government’s Make summer invincible initiative has targeted partygoers with coughs, deploying “sani-squads” at music festivals to distribute hand sanitizer. A public service announcement by Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, director general of the health department, to a dubstep beat, disrupted the Rhythm and Vines festival on New Year’s Eve. A New Year’s Eve music festival in New Zealand. Ashley Bloomfieldpic.twitter.com/TveiLB196b- Elle Hunt (@elle hunt) favorite public health official January 2, 2021

Share.

Leave A Reply