After eating a Christmas sandwich, the nurse, who was ‘allergic to everything,’ nearly died.

0

After eating a Christmas sandwich, the nurse, who was ‘allergic to everything,’ nearly died.

After eating a Christmas sandwich, a nurse became “allergic to everything” and nearly died.

Mia Lainchbury, 26, had no allergies before the summer, but has since developed severe allergies to hot water and blowing out a candle.

Since September, the trainee nurse claims she has received CPR three times, including one time when she could hear her parents desperately trying to revive her.

“My situation truly could be life or death,” Mia, of Hailsham, East Sussex, said.

“Even though I’m only 26, I’ve already talked to my doctor about signing a do not resuscitate or DNR order, so that if I do end up in a coma, my family won’t have to worry about making a decision.”

“It’s gotten to the point where anything can cause anaphylaxis.”

“I can’t even burn candles now because a gingerbread-scented one caused an allergic reaction.”

“From washing powder onwards, everything I use has to be completely bland.”

“I spotted this turkey Christmas sarnie in the garage shop while my boyfriend was getting petrol and thought, ‘Oh my God, I’ve got to have it!” Mia said, recalling the incident with the pre-packed festive sandwich on November 14.

“I was practically dancing with happiness as I sat on the sofa eating it, thinking, ‘Ooh, this tastes so good.’

“However, my airway was closing and I couldn’t breathe within 10 minutes.”

Paramedics took her to the hospital after she used two EpiPens, an emergency medication for severe allergic reactions.

Mia, on the other hand, is still unsure which ingredient triggered her reaction.

“What started out as a lovely treat ended with three paramedics and breathing equipment an hour later,” she explained.

“I don’t know what set it off, but I’m not going to eat another sandwich anytime soon.”

Mia has only had full-fledged anaphylaxis once, in September, when she became unable to breathe after taking an antibiotic.

It had been prescribed to her several times over the previous eight years, this time for a kidney infection.

My parents were talking about their fears that I was dying right in front of their eyes.

Mia could hear her poor parents performing CPR with a paramedic while waiting for an air ambulance after she had an anaphylactic reaction in October due to an unknown trigger.

Fortunately, when it arrived, they decided she had passed the worst of it and could simply be taken to the hospital by blue light.

“I could hear my parents discussing their fears that I was dying right in front of their eyes,” Mia explained.

“It felt like I was dreaming because the paramedics said I could die at any moment.”

“That’s stuck with me for a long time.”

Mia’s four-year partner passed away three weeks ago.

Brinkwire News in a Nutshell.

Share.

Comments are closed.