Do you want to retire in another country? Expats from the United Kingdom have been assured of their healthcare entitlements.


Do you want to retire in another country? Expats from the United Kingdom have been assured of their healthcare entitlements.

STATE pension claimants got some good news today when it was revealed that the S1 plan will cover their healthcare rights in Spain and the rest of the EU. This means that expats who receive a UK state pension may be eligible for UK-funded healthcare.

Claimants for state pensions in the United Kingdom can get their payouts anywhere in the world as long as they have paid enough UK National Insurance contributions to qualify. Many people may have been concerned about their rights as a result of the ongoing Brexit negotiations, however it was recently revealed that those living in Spain – a favourite retirement destination for Britons – will have their healthcare benefits maintained.

According to research conducted by A Place in the Sun in collaboration with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), persons residing in Spain will continue to have guaranteed healthcare rights in the future.

Residents in the United Kingdom, including those who own second homes in Spain, can still use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at public hospitals and clinics as necessary.

When their current Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) expires, they should apply for the new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), which gives them the same access.

It was mentioned that purchasing insurance is also very important because the EHIC or GHIC does not cover every eventuality, such as treatment in a private facility or medical repatriation.

“Although British nationals can now only spend 90 out of 180 days in Spain before needing to apply for a visa, this is good clarification to holidaymakers, homeowners, and would-be property buyers,” said Andy Bridge, Managing Director of A Place in the Sun.

There was “equally positive news” for UK state retirees seeking to migrate to Spain permanently, with assurance that their healthcare costs will be covered by the UK under the S1 scheme.

When a person living in an EU nation begins to draw on their UK state pension, they can apply for an S1 form under this system.

This form entitles the holder to state-funded healthcare in the United Kingdom.

“There is a lot of uncertainty about this issue,” Mr Bridge added, “but the UK and the EU have agreed that this reciprocal healthcare agreement will continue.

“However, 73 percent of our audience was unaware of this important benefit, which has deterred some people from moving.”Brinkwire Summary News”.


Comments are closed.