Brexit: What rights do customers have when it comes to holidays, banking and more?


What you need to talk about how things are going to change for people of the UK and EU after 31 December

Yes and no, my Ehic card will also operate on holidays. This card will remain valid in the EU until it expires if you have a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic), which entitles you to essential government health facilities (such as accident and emergency care) for free or at reduced cost. The good news is that a last-minute alternative called the Global Health Insurance Card is being created (GHIC).

The good news is that a last-minute substitute is being created, which will continue to be free, called the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

The bad news is that specifics about it are at best sketchy. In the context material, with a few main changes, the government says it will function like the Ehics program: it will protect you when you travel to EU countries, but not when you travel to Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Transitional provisions have been made for Norway, enabling British citizens to receive state medical care when required by using their British passports. With Switzerland and the EEA/Efta nations, the government is also negotiating new agreements that could lead to shared healthcare according to Ehic. A UK national who does not have an Ehic or GHIC is still entitled to the healthcare they need while traveling in the EU. The NHS Business Services Authority should be contacted, which could grant a temporary replacement certificate that will cover the same costs. Do I need travel insurance? It is not a legal necessity for a traveller to take out insurance while travelling to the EU, but it would be reckless not to do so for the vast majority of people, as various annual plans covering several trips are available for next year’s travel to Europe for less than £ 50 per year. There was widespread concern about the cost of post-Brexit travel insurance when Ehic was withdrawn, particularly for those with pre-existing conditions, but this was somewhat mitigated by the last-minute implementation of GHIC (see above).

May I drive abroad anyway? Your UK driving license will be valid after January 1 in Europe. Previously, it was thought that, depending on their country of destination, UK drivers would have to apply to the post office for one of two (or both) foreign driving licenses. However, you would need to apply to your insurer for a green card if you are traveling overseas in your own car or other vehicle, which is confirmation that you have insurance coverage. According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), which says it will possibly arrive by email, there should be no charge – except maybe an administration fee. If asked by the police or other officials, you can print it out and have it ready to display. Notice that one will also be required for Northern Irish motorists traveling to the Republic. The ABI notes that in the coming months, the EU will remove the green card requirement, but you’ll need one before that changes.

May I bring my dog with me to Europe? After Dec. 31, the old pet ID cards will not be valid anymore.

Instead, the EU decided that the United Kingdom would have a ‘Section Two Listed’ status that allows pets to move within EU borders, provided that owners receive an animal health certificate (AHC). This confirms the microchipping and vaccination of your pet against rabies. You will collect it from a veterinarian and within 10 days of issuance, your travel must commence. The AHC is valid for four months and, during this period, you can join and leave the EU several times. Would I still get credit for flights that are delayed? There were fears that EU flight reimbursement rights would be lost after Brexit, enabling passengers to sue up to EUR 250 (£ 225) to EUR 600 for delayed or cancelled flights. The schemes are now enshrined in UK law, although the UK government could make amendments to the amount of reimbursement in the future because they are no longer covered by the EU. Consumer rights Would it cost more if I buy cross-border? According to Royal Mail, any item purchased online from the EU and dispatched to the UK can incur VAT charges and handling fees, depending on the value and whether it is a gift or a commercial good. The me for things below £ 135 (excluding gifts)


Leave A Reply