THE unnamed Royal who allegedly raised concerns of baby Archie’s skin was just being “realistic” not racist, says football legend John Barnes.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex told Oprah Winfrey during an explosive interview that Archie wasn’t made a prince after “concerns and conversations” about “how dark” his skin would be when he was born.
The revelation back in March has prompted months of speculation about the ‘Royal racist’ but the former Liverpool star, 57, said most black people would think ‘so what’ when hearing about it.
He told the Sunday Times:
“If you listen to what Meghan says, it’s not about them [the unnamed royal]worrying if the baby is dark or not, it’s them worrying about how the public are going to view that.
“Because they know if the baby is too dark, the public will not view the baby as positively. They’re being realistic.”
Barnes said there was no way the public would not care that the new royal baby was not “blonde haired and blue-eyed” because of prejudices towards black people in the UK.
Read our Meghan Markle live blog for the latest updates….
Harry has returned to the UK twice this year, once for his grandfather’s funeral and again for the unveiling of a statue dedicated to Diana.
It is not known whether he will make a return for the rest of the year.
He and Meghan had previously been mulling a visit for a party to mark his late mother, which will be attended by 100 guests including William and Sir Elton John,
It’s understood Harry was particularly keen to travel back for the hour-long celebration.
But now it has been confirmed by a spokesperson for the Sussexes that the couple will not be returning for the bash.
A spokeswoman for the Sussexes confirmed on Saturday that the Duke would not be in attendance.
And experts have said it will further harm the already strained relations between Harry, 37, and his brother William, 39.
Royal expert and author Penny Junor said: “It is a great shame they are not coming.
“The longer they stay away the greater the rift and the more difficult it is to come back from. They don’t come back and the rift continues.
“There is a lot of work to be done, it’s a shame they can’t come back. It shows they are not interested in making things work.”
MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry are “not interested in making things work” with the Royal Family after they snubbed an invite to a bash in honour of Princess Diana.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex turned down the invitation to the rescheduled party at… Brinkwire Brief News.