Connor McGregor has robbery charges dropped as his accuser ‘recants testimony’

Prosecutors in Florida have dropped charges against mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor after the Dublin native was accused of stealing and destroying an onlooker’s phone outside of a Miami Beach hotel in March.

Prosecutor Khalil Madani announced in court on Monday morning that the alleged victim had recanted his story, the Miami Herald reported.

‘The victim of the crime does not wish to return to the United States and prosecute this case,’ Madani said.

McGregor, 30, was originally scheduled to appear in court on Monday, but was reportedly not present.

The victim, UK resident Ahmed Abdirzak, already settled a civil suit with McGregor for a reported $15,000. 

McGregor had been charged with robbery by sudden snatching and criminal mischief. 

‘I think this was the appropriate resolution of this case,’ said McGregor’s attorney, Sam Rabin. 

McGregor was arrested on March 11 following a confrontation at the Fontainebleau hotel. Abdirzak was one of several onlookers taking video of McGregor when the former UFC star slapped the phone out of his hand. Security video appears to show McGregor stomping on the phone as well, which is what Abdirzak claimed in his lawsuit.

‘The defendant then picked up the smashed phone and slipped it into his pocket before strutting to a waiting SUV,’ the lawsuit said. 

Abdirzak described McGregor to DailyMail.com: He’s a dangerous thug, very dangerous. He lives up to his name – notorious. He thinks the normal rules don’t apply to him.’ 

A former two-division UFC champion, McGregor was reportedly planning to return to the octagon but suddenly retired as it was being reported that he was under investigation for sexual assault in his native Ireland.

McGregor spokeswoman’s Karen Kessler denied that his sudden retirement announcement had anything to do with the sexual assault allegations, which emerged in a New York Times report.

The claim is being investigated by local police but McGregor has not been charged.

‘This story has been circulating for some time and it is unclear why it is being reported now,’ Kessler said in a statement given to ESPN. ‘The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement is related to this rumor is absolutely false.

‘Should Conor fight in the future it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work and their dedication to the sport.’

Reports of the sexual assault have appeared in the media since the attack was first reported to police, but the identity of the alleged perpetrator was previously obscured.

That changed when the New York Times became the first to link McGregor’s name to the alleged assault.

The newspaper said four people close to the investigation confirmed that McGregor was the man in question, and that he had been arrested and questioned over the claims in January.

McGregor was released after being questioned and has not been charged while investigations continue, the newspaper said.

The allegations have not been proven, and the fact that investigations are ongoing does not imply that McGregor has committed any offence.

The woman making the claim said the incident occurred at Dublin’s Beacon Hotel, where McGregor reportedly stays on occasion.

He last visited in December, the Times reported.

McGregor has been in a relationship with girlfriend Dee Devlin since 2008, and the couple has a son, Conor Jack McGregor Jr., who was born in 2017.

The trio was seen in Florida on Tuesday, where McGregor has been vacationing.

McGregor, who has retired from MMA twice in the last three years, has had several recent legal issues.

Last April he was accused of assault and criminal mischief after attacking a bus of rivals at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct and has since completed community service. 

loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *