This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is about Mulaka, a rather unique adventure game by Mexican indie developer Lienzo, that draws inspiration from the culture and mythology of a region that we generally don’t see covered much in games.
Mulaka is a low-poly, 3D action-adventure game that delves into the folklore of the Tarahumara, an indigenous tribe from northern Mexico. You play as a Sukurúame, a tribal shaman with mystical powers derived from the demigods that the Tarahumaran people worship.
Explore vibrant environments based on real locations throughout the Sierra. Use your shamanistic rituals to transform into animals and fight the mysterious creatures trying to corrupt the Tarahumara’s lands. You can check out a trailer for the game above.
Mulaka is available on Windows PC (via Steam, GOG, and Humble Store), PS4, Switch, and Xbox One for $19.99. It’s currently 20% off on Steam.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Renowned for their impressive running abilities, embark on the journey of a Sukurúame – a Tarahumara shaman – as you fight back the foulness corrupting the land, while drawing upon the powers of demigods. From solving puzzles in environments inspired by real Sierra Tarahumara locations, to heated hand-to-hand combat with creatures pulled from the region’s mythology, find out why the Tarahumara have earned a reputation for being superhumans.
- Become the legend: Harness the renowned athletic talents of the Tarahumara as you engage in fast-paced platforming and hand-to-hand combat.
- Explore Sierra Tarahumara: Traverse a 3D world inspired by the legendary, real-life landscapes of northern Mexico, rendered in a vibrant, low-poly visual style.
- Based on real mythology: Draw upon the powers of demigods and battle fearsome creatures pulled from the rich lore of the Tarahumara people.
- Live the culture: From narration in their indigenous language, to music unique to the region, experience an authentic representation of Tarahumara culture.
- Mix up your gameplay: Leverage the Tarahumara’s physical prowess, demigod transformations, puzzle-solving and the crafting of magic potions as you save humanity from the corruption plaguing it.
- By playing Mulaka, you’re helping us contribute to the well-being of this community. We will donate up to 10% of the game earnings to NGOs that focus efforts on the Sierra Tarahumara.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!