Sudan security forces open fire on Khartoum protesters

KHARTOUM 

Sudan’s army-affiliated Rapid Support Forces (RSF) opened fire on demonstrators Wednesday near an ongoing sit-in outside army headquarters in Khartoum, leaving 14 wounded, the Sudanese opposition and Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors announced. 

The Declaration of Freedom and Change (DFC), an alliance of opposition groups, appealed to the Sudanese to go to the sit-in over the attack in a statement.

The DFC stressed their rejection of any “attempt to suppress the people while exercising their legitimate right to peaceful expression.”

The statement said the the RSF used live bullets, batons and whips to attack protestors and held the Transitional Military Council “fully responsible for these blatant attacks.”

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors urged qualified doctors to set up field hospitals in the area to treat the injured.

The group said that the attack left seven wounded by gunfire.

The attack on the Sudanese protestors is the second of its kind within 72 hours.

On Monday, six people, including five protesters, were killed when gunmen attacked the main protest camp near the military headquarters. 

The DFC hinted Tuesday at the involvement of RSF, in the attack. 

Early last month, the Sudanese army ousted President Omar al-Bashir following months of popular demonstrations against his 30-year rule. 

A military council is now overseeing a two-year “transitional period” during which it has pledged to hold presidential elections. 

Demonstrators, however, have remained in the streets to demand that the ruling council relinquish power — at the earliest possible date — to a civilian authority.

loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *