This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is about Deployment, a competitive twin-stick shooter by Whale Rock Games.
During the Last War, human civilization was almost completely destroyed. Our cities, factories, and power grids are only still operational because of the Ethernet, a vast AI computer network that allows humanity’s vital infrastructure to survive on autopilot.
This digital world is now the current battleground of megacorporations, nation-states, and rogue organizations that use virtual soldiers in a never-ending struggle to gain control of the Ethernet, and with it, everything that is keeping civilization functional.
Choose from one of five classes of digital warriors and fight to gain territory in intense, top-down twin-stick battles. Capture turrets to hold strategic locations, and use experience points gained in battle to upgrade your weapons, abilities, and ultimate attacks. You can check out a trailer above.
Deployment is primarily a multiplayer game, and sadly, the online community is basically nonexistent. However, there is a skirmish mode versus bots, and there’s always the option to buy the game alongside a group of friends if you want to play multiplayer.
Deployment is available on Windows PC via Steam and the Humble Store for $9.99, and it’s currently 70% off.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
After the Last War, civilization is on the brink of disappearing. However, and thanks to technology, the world is still running on autopilot… for now. Computers are keeping all critical systems running – and whoever controls these computers will rule the entire world. Factories, transportation grids, energy plants: every single critical system in the world is ruled by a computer connected to the Etherweb. What is left of the old governments and megacorporations are fighting to control these systems and take over the world. Infosoldiers, artificial intelligences made of pure information, fight this endless war.
Deploy your troops and get ready for epic battles in Deployment, the new competitive top-down shooter game by the creators of We Are The Dwarves! Choose a class and get ready for battle
Explore a randomly-generated maze and fight against other players or the AI in a fast-paced, intense action gameplay that will put your skills and reflexes to the test. Capture and defend System turrets to gain a tactical advantage. Gain experience to upgrade your classes. Climb the leaderboard with your friends and become the best infosoldier in the world!
- Gunner: powerful infosoldiers with high-speed weaponry, Troopers deal lots of damage with their combat-tested rifles.
- Pyro: fast infosoldiers with light armor, Pyros absorb damage and transform it into firepower.
- Sniper: accurate infosoldiers with high-tech long range bullets, Snipers can become invisible and get stealth kills.
- Cyclops: insidious support infosoldiers, Lasers use their abilities to steal enemy’s health.
- Rocketeer: armored infosoldiers, RPG Gunners can take a lot of damage and fire powerful, area-of-attack projectiles to defend their teammates.
- Fight intense battles in this thrilling competitive multiplayer top-down shooter
- Navigate randomly-generated battlefields where every combat is unique
- Challenge your friends or strangers over the Internet in free-for-all or team-based deathmatch in Multiplayer modes…
- …or train your skills against AI bots in Single Player mode
- Choose between five classes with varied weapons, skills, and ultimate attacks
- Develop your classes and choose between different skills and perks to suit your playstyle
- Assemble a team and climb the leaderboards to become the best Infosoldiers Squad in the world
- Capture System turrets to gain tactical advantages in an original room-control mechanic
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!