Ballymurphy: Anyone on streets could be shot, inquest told


Out of control soldiers were prepared to shoot anyone innocently on the streets during the Ballymurphy killings in West Belfast, a former serviceman said.

Some within the Parachute Regiment were rogue “psychopaths”, an ex-corporal known as M597 alleged, who “revelled” in what they had done and congratulated each other afterwards.

A new inquest at Belfast Coroner’s Court is examining the deaths of 10 civilians, including a mother of eight and a Catholic priest, across three days in August 1971.

The witness said: “Rogue soldiers were out of control, killing people on the street and knowing that they would be protected.”

He added: “They were saying, anything out there that moves, we consider them to be in the IRA or associated with the IRA, and for that alone they could be or should be shot.”

He could not recall any briefing or debriefing after the killings and claimed young soldiers were left to fight for their lives.

“They were on a high and enjoying it, soldiers do enjoy going to battle as opposed to doing nothing.

“Those soldiers were enjoying it and could not wait to get back out again.”

He was challenged by a lawyer about why he did not raise an issue with the soldiers’ conduct or why he did not just leave early.

He added: “It was not an organisation where you could go to an officer and say that type of thing.

“It just is not that type of organisation, you would have been in real deep trouble had you done that.”

He was investigated over a separate shooting of a petrol bomber and was congratulated by other servicemen, who told him how lucky he was to have a “notch on my rifle”.

“It was sheer bravado.”

He added: “In fact it was a pat on the back for what I had done.”

He said the Parachute Regiment was no different today than it was 50 years ago and referred to recent Facebook postings by ex-servicemen surrounding prosecution of soldiers.

“Death, dementia and delay.

“What they are saying is delay it, delay it and we will all be gone.”

Rioting had been ongoing since early on August 9, after the British army moved into republican areas across Northern Ireland to arrest IRA suspects after the introduction by the Stormont administration of the controversial policy of internment without trial.

The incident was part of a three-day series of shootings from August 9-11 which has become known as the Ballymurphy Massacre.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *