Reflecting the intense fight ongoing over U.S. policy towards Syria following the British-instigated “chemical weapons attack” provocation there, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told a House Armed Forces Committee hearing this morning that the U.S. does not have evidence yet on supposed chemical weapons attack in Douma, Syria.
Earlier, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Russia had irrefutable evidence proving that the incident involving the use of chemical weapons in the Syrian city of Douma was a false-flag operation conducted by foreign special services. He continued by saying that global law has been systematically violated in Syria and that he feels angry at reports of chemical weapons use in the country.
Shortly before the United Nations meeting convened, Haley told reporters that the US, UK and France had “analysed” the situation and concluded that a chemical attack did take place on Douma earlier this week.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said on Thursday it had deployed two fact-finding teams to Douma.
“Once again Russia’s failure to stop them and their continued dis-action on this front has been part of the problem”, she said. Located by officials of the Russian Ministry of Defense, one of the doctors, Jalil Ashizh, said that after a building in the city was bombed on the first floors, a fire broke out.
“The USA and several Western countries continue their unfounded accusations claiming that the Syrian government used chemical weapons against the peaceful population of Eastern Ghouta”.
“France will shoulder its responsibility to end an intolerable threat to our collective security”, Delattre said.
Mattis also said a military strike against Syria “is not yet in the offing”. “How is this possible?” al-Jaafari said.
The Secretary-General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres said at the session that the worsening situation in the Middle East is threatening global peace and security.