Row over DNA sample of accused in girl’s murder


Charnelle McCrawl File photo: INLSA
Cape Town – The defence attorney for the second accused in the rape and murder case of Charnelle McCrawl objected to DNA samples being taken from his client without consulting him.

Carlo de Kock and Stanton Mano appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday via video conference out of Pollsmoor Prison.

Mano’s attorney, Rustin Ravat, told magistrate Goolam Bawa that the investigating officer had collected DNA samples from his client in prison without him being consulted. State prosecutor Phumeza Mtuyedwa-Zondi said she was not informed of it. Previously it was confirmed traces of semen were found on slain 10-year-old Charnelle’s pants.

Asked by Bawo when he was visited by the investigating officer, Mano replied “two weeks ago”. Bawa postponed the case to April 25 for a decision on whether the case would be referred to the regional or high court. The two accused will remain in custody.

Charnelle was reported missing on October 20 when she wasn’t present at school. Her body was found in wetlands in Manenberg the next day. De Kock, Charnelle’s uncle, and Mano were arrested three days after her body was found wrapped in a curtain and plastic bag.

Manenberg organisation, Women For Change, said they were united in their call for the case to be referred to the Western Cape High Court. Shahieda Fredericks said: “We want this to go to the High Court because they can never get away with what they did.

We won’t raise boys in our communities who harm or kill others.”

Cape Times


Leave A Reply